Sunday 20 December 2009

A Dog's Fairy Tale of Christmas


We stopped at a park that was covered in snow. This was somewhere new! My owner removed my collar and then threw a ball. I chased after it. We hadn't played this game for a long time! But when I turned back he had gone. Puzzled, I sniffed around, but there were no familiar smells. I was lost and alone. So I wandered.

Elsewhere in the park I saw a big crowd of happy, smiling people. Santa was there with his sleigh and reindeer. He was handing out presents. I rushed over, but there were angry shouts, and I was chased away.

Then I came across a woman sitting on a bench. She had a dog with her. I approached, tail wagging, but she shook a stick at me. Feeling sad and unwanted, I wandered on.

I didn't understand it at all. I tried to be a good dog. I was clean in the house and didn't cause trouble. So why had I been left all alone in a world I didn't understand?

It began to snow. The wind cut right through me. I was lost, cold, hungry, and frightened.

I passed a shop doorway. There was a sad old man sitting there. He softly called to me. Cautiously I went to him. He rubbed my ears and spoke gently. I lay down beside him, and he put his coat over me.

Presently we got up and I walked by his side. We went to a big hall. It was warm inside. Lots of people came over and made a fuss of  me. I was welcome!
They gave me a big bowl of turkey and carrots, covered with gravy. Afterwards there was music and everyone sang carols.
Much later I was given a blanket to sleep on. It was on the floor next to my new friend. I climbed onto his bed. He put his arm around me. There we lay, man and dog, a pair of unwanted and unloved strays. But that day I had enjoyed good food, warmth, kindness, and companionship. I was content.
The church bells rang in Christmas Day.

Copyright  Trevor Williams
You may use this story in its entirety on your blog or website, but please keep the links back to my blog, or give an appropiate credit linking back. Thanks.

Whether you have two or four legs, Winter is a cruel time to be sleeping rough on the streets. Christmas in particular is a lonely time. January is even harder, it is colder and the Xmas shelters are shut. So, this year please remember stray and unwanted dogs. Don't forget people either - a dog is often a homeless person's only companion.
A charity that I support, St. Mungo's in London, takes in homeless people and their dogs! (For more info please click on the link)

No comments: